Tuesday, December 9, 2008

To My Daughters

To My Daughters,

As you both grow, I've been thinking through what life lessons I want to pass onto you before you head off into the world of adulthood.  Yes, it's forever from now, but I can guarantee that I'll wonder where the time went when that time comes.  So while the two of you are sleeping peacefully in your beds on the floor above me, I'm left alone with my prayers and wishes for your futures.

Always remember to be kind.  Treat others with respect and dignity.  Especially those who many  would assume don't deserve it.  Lift others up with your actions.  Offer a helping hand to those in need.  And when you can do nothing else, offer a smile.  The world will be a better place because of it.

Love God with all your being.  God's done incredible things in my life and I have no doubt he has blessings in store for you. 

Cherish your family.  Your family will be the ones who prop you up when you need support.  They will celebrate with you for victories great and small.  For a long time, they will know you better than anyone on earth.

Run after your dreams with abandon.  Remember the wishes you had as a child and pursue them while you can.  Do something every day that makes you smile.  It doesn't have to be a grand endeavor, only something that you love to do. Keep in touch with your creative spirit and don't fear failure.  Failure might come, but it won't stop you. 

Be honest and fair.  Your integrity is more valuable than any other facet of your character.  If people can trust you, they will embrace your confidence for all it's worth.

Listen to good music and eat good food.  Bad music and bad food serve a purpose, but they don't satisfy like the good stuff.  Enjoy the finer things in life on occasion.  Spoil yourself sometimes.  But only enough that it always seems special. 

Give freely.  Don't covet your possessions.  Things are just things.  Money is just money.  None of it buys happiness.  True happiness comes from elsewhere.  And a touch of it is in giving to someone who's truly in need.

There are a million lessons.  A hundred thousand things that I could pass onto you girls.  And chances are, as time goes by, I will.  But for now, I'll end with the most important one:

Love often, love well, and love all.

Always Yours,

Mama

6 comments:

  1. You're so sweet. Your girls are going to grow up to be amazing women... because they have an amazing mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful and just the right thing for me to have read today. You are awesome!

    I'm printing this and putting it in Abby's room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an amazing example to your girls!! And this was a great reminder for me!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto, ditto, ditto. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just adding my "ditto" to the rest. You are a gift to your family.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...