Monday, June 15, 2009

I Didn't Get Lost, I'm Just Eating and Organizing (a.k.a. CSA - Week 2)

There's a lot going on here, most of which I'll post about later.

Anyway, for now, I'll give the rundown of our second week of CSA goodies! This week's theme was green, lots of green. Apparently, I liked the theme and "posed" the veggies and such on a green towel.



We have russian kale, peas, green beans, asparagus, rolls, a loaf of multi grain bread, spinach, blueberries, strawberry cream cheese (OH MY WORD THE DELICIOUS), green onions, and some kind of lettuce that I forget the name of, but that tastes wonderful. 

I did learn that I hallucinated a bit last week.  This farm, (as is the case with most MD farms), is not totally organic.  Most farms around here, (if not all), would have little to no yield without some form of pest control.  This isn't to say that everything is treated.  Our particular farm treats at most twice a year.  Being on the Chesapeake Bay Watershed, more than that results in heavy fines, so they tread a fine line.  In any case, it makes me sad as that's still something that's important to me, but I'm happy that we're getting REALLY fresh local produce, so that makes up for it.  And knowing that the farmer is doing his very best to do the very least in treating his crops is good to know.  Anyway, sorry if I mislead anyone.

Anyway, we're still thrilled to bits at the harvest and Shaun's enjoying the company in his work share group. 

I'm loving watching my daughter try new things as she gets excited about Daddy's "harvest" when he comes home on Fridays.  She can shell peas better than I can.  (Think I can get her to do the rest?)

3 comments:

  1. I really want to look into something like that here in my area. We have a famer's market but we have never checked into a CSA! Everything looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool Jen!! Keep these CSA posts coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like maybe butterleaf lettuce?

    I saw a recipe for gazpacho (cold tomato, but really all sorts of vegetable, soup), and thought of you guys and all of your fresh veggies! http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/06/gazpacho/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...