Thursday, February 18, 2010

Honey Baked Lentils


What do we have here?  Looks a bit like bird seed, and perhaps a smidgen like disgruntled peas. In short, doesn't look like much, does it?

But dang, it tastes delicious.

Honey Baked Lentils!  I pulled the recipe from a friend's blog and tweaked it a bit to serve our little family. Here's my version

Honey Baked Lentils
1 cup lentils
2 cups water
2 and a half tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp ginger
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed 
Combine the above in a baking dish, cover and bake at 350* until tender.  (About an hour and 15 minutes, here).

 The original called for olive oil instead of coconut oil, but we're out and actually, I thought that the coconut flavor would be a nice accent to the honey and the nutty flavor of the lentils.  I also added a bit more honey and a bit more garlic.



Initially, I was nervous at how the kids would take to the onions but we have so many dang onions floating around our fridge from the CSA, I couldn't leave it out.

And really, my worries were unfounded.  It might not look like much, (and really, it TOTALLY contradicts my usual attempts to feed first with the eyes, then with the mouth), but it tasted delicious.



And it's super healthy.  Lentils are an excellent source of both fiber and protein.  (The latter being especially important for the vegetarians/vegans).  Lentils also have a LOT of iron, which, for anemic people, (as I am when pregnant), is great.

Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is that pretty doesn't always equal tasty, and tasty definitely doesn't always equal pretty.  It's nice when they mesh, but if given a choice?  I'd rather my food taste good.  My kids do too, apparently.  They loved it too :) Let me know if you try it!

2 comments:

  1. These look (in a theoretical, read the recipe sort of way) really good :-)

    And, great lighting on those pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes vegetarian food doesn't look that great. That is why haven't posted many of my pictures from foods that I have made. But knowing what lentils taste like, I find your meal very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...