Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Quite a Sniffer

My 2 year old daughter has a remarkable sense of smell.  There are days when she's the first to notice her brother's um... odor, "Moooooooooooommmy!  I smell poopy!  Sayer has a stinky bottom!"  And alas, she's right, every time. 

I chalked it up to her head being closer to the source of said smell. 

Then she started commenting on other smells.  While she played with her sister in their room, I heated up the oven and made a quick pizza.  Ten minutes into baking, she wandered in, "Mommy?  I smell pizza."  I assumed she had seen my prep or heard me talking about it. 

But she kept it up, often at times that I was 100% certain she couldn't have known about the source ahead of time... like this morning, when I hid in the kitchen and stuffed a chocolate cookie in my mouth.  I finished, washed it down with some milk and rejoined the kids in the living room.  Caly walked by my seat on the sofa, paused, turned back, sniffed and said, "Mommy.  I smell chocolate.  Where's my chocolate? Can I have some chocolate?"

She's like a bloodhound.  Who calls me out when I sneak off for a treat. 

But then there are times when she gets kind of bizzare...  two days ago we were in the car, quietly listening to Christmas music when she pipes up from the back, "Moooooomy...  I smell...  I smell...  I smell elephants."

Even a bloodhound misses the trail sometimes. 

But I'm still totally going to hide a bottle of mouthwash next to my cookie stash. 

6 comments:

  1. Caly looks like a Who from the Grinch :) Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime, I don't know you, but that's EXACTLY what I was about to post. EXACTLY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! She does look like a Who!

    Hannah is the bloodhound in our house. Among other things she can ALWAYS tell when I've eaten chocolate and she can smell pasta cooking after about three minutes in the water. "Mom! I smell MACARONI!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious!! I LOVE that pic of her-such a cute little imp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny and WAY too cute! Abby, on the other hand, is so oblivious that I can play "hide and seek" with her for seventeen seconds and manage to sneak a snack while she searches every inch of our ten-square-foot bathroom to find me?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...