Sunday, October 17, 2010

The One Where I Teach My Son the Art of the Gnaw (aka, don't read this if you're a particularly squeamish variety of vegetarian)

I'm not much of a meat eater anymore.  Never was.  Not a vegetarian though, as sometimes I feel a little... carnivorous. 

When I was a little girl, my dad would take me to the Renaissance Festival.  Food, face painting, knights, princesses, fairies, jousting, crafts, swords, and more.  What more could a kid love? 

But the highlight was always the turkey leg.  It's exactly what it sounds like.  A leg of a turkey, brined and roasted to perfection.  (Is it fried? Not sure, don't care.  It tastes awesome).  I rarely eat chicken on a bone, but I'll tear one of these up.  This year?  I taught the kids.  The only one who really took to it was Sayer.  At almost 15 months, I think he has the art of the gnaw down pat.  See for yourself:



He's giving it a once over.  Think you're going to mess with me, Turkey Leg?  THINK AGAIN!  He said that.  Really.  Ok, he didn't.  Because he doesn't quite speak with complex sentence structure.  But he THOUGHT it.  Totally. 


He looks fierce, (channeling his red-haired Viking roots?  Perhaps).  And rightfully so.  That's the only way to attack a turkey leg.  I think he did quite well for his first year.  Right Dad?

3 comments:

  1. So cute!!! I don't eat chicken on the bone either, usually. But once a year or so I get a hankerin' for some wings. So I feel you on that! I have also NEVER been to a Ren fest, can you believe it? I've always wanted to go, but there's never been one close by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to read it because you said it wouldn't be a good idea. I don't know where Hannah gets her listening skills from because I am not so good at it. It's the little rebel inside of me. Although I am for the most part vegetarian, I still crave meat or chicken on the bone...with lots of hot sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sayer and Sione' could so be best friends! All 3 of my boys can clean a bone like no child i have ever seen. There specialty happens to be ribs lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...