Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Who's On First? Er, What?

Sometimes, conversing with my children is a bit like living inside of an Abbott and Costello sketch.

Particularly the 3rd born. At just over 2 years old, he's rather verbal.  Generally, he can make it known precisely what he wants, though on occasion, especially when he's exhausted, he's been known to lapse into mumbling and garbled speech.  (I've only myself to blame for the mumbles). 

The other night, we were snuggling in his bed as he settled for sleep.  I asked him if he wanted me to sing a song.  Yes, believe it or not, my kids actually dig when I sing.

He mumbled something so I asked him to repeat,

"Put some socks on."

Weird, but ok.  "Sayer, you want me to put your socks on?"

"Put some SOCKS on."

"You want me to go get your socks?"

"Mama, PUT SOME SOCKS ON."

"Uh, ok... can you wait here a second while I go get you some socks?"  The night promised to be a chilly one, so really, why not?

"NO!"

"No?"

"NO, mama!"

I was a bit baffled.  "Sayer, do you want socks or no socks?"

"Socks on!"  His face was turned into his pillow so I asked him to say it again. 

"Socks or no socks, buddy?"

"Sockson!" 

"What?"

"SONGSON!"

"What?"

"Songsong! SONGSONG!"

I had a feeling I was missing something... so I asked again,

"What?"

He turned his head to look me dead in the eye, "Sing. A. Song!"

Oh.  Um, ok.  "You want me to sing a song?"

"Yes."

What the heck, dude?  Wasn't that where we started this melee?

"Ok, um, so what do you want me to sing a song about?"  (He likes to pick his topics... most notable are trucks, trains and pickles). 

I swear the kid looked at me as if I had just forgotten my own name.  "Mama. Put socks on."

I kid you not. 

Then, it hit me.

"Sayer, do you want me to sing a song about putting your socks on?"

He beamed, "YES!"

And then he rolled over, sighed and started to close his eyes. 

And I sang a song about putting on a pair of socks.

Ah, parenthood.

5 comments:

  1. Cute! Abby is at the age where she makes up her own now - I am SO proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sock Song:
    I've got one sock
    Looking for the other
    One Sock
    Trying to find its brother
    When I find that sock
    I'll tell you what I'll do
    I'll put it on my foot
    and stick it in my shoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious. So now I want to know how your little socks song went.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...